Navigator
Search

Fairion felehta

Re: Fairion felehta

PostAuthor: Tuilinde » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:23 pm

Don't die of shock! I've found some time to enjoy your tale.
You always know what's going to happen when a character says "There's only one thing you mustn't do....." Nothing changes much!

I do like it very much indeed - and I'm learning lots from the way you use tenses and cases to make rhymes more possible. Like Huanarmo I've copied it into my poetry file, so that I can enjoy it any time, and study the details.

There's only one possible problem in it, but it may be fine to leave it and trust that it will be understood. hiuta which is found in VT 46:6 is the word for "wink, hint". OK so far, BUT in English this would generally be understood as a metaphor. In this sense, "to wink at something" (not someone) is to pretend not to see it. Just like Nelson putting his telescope to his blind eye and saying "I see no signal" (Which of course, is where we get turning a blind eye to something).
Since very few Quenyaists are so fluent that this would cause a difficulty, I think it could be left. But it may be useful for you to know this particular meaning of the word (after all in English the action and the metaphor are the same word!!)

May I also say I love your Haiku Viste as well! I've never tried a haiku, I must give it a go sometime.
Tuilinde

PostAuthor: órerámar » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:21 am

Tuilinde" wrote:
You always know what's going to happen when a character says "There's only one thing you mustn't do....." Nothing changes much!

You are right and the consequences are no surprise either.

There's only one possible problem in it, but it may be fine to leave it and trust that it will be understood. hiuta which is found in VT 46:6 is the word for "wink, hint". OK so far, BUT in English this would generally be understood as a metaphor. In this sense, "to wink at something" (not someone) is to pretend not to see it. Just like Nelson putting his telescope to his blind eye and saying "I see no signal" (Which of course, is where we get turning a blind eye to something).
Since very few Quenyaists are so fluent that this would cause a difficulty, I think it could be left. But it may be useful for you to know this particular meaning of the word (after all in English the action and the metaphor are the same word!!)

I am so grateful for your feedback and I shall look into this. In another poem I had used the flower "pirinde" as a metaphor for "fast as a wink".

May I also say I love your Haiku Viste as well! I've never tried a haiku, I must give it a go sometime.

I intended to get in touch with you one of these days regarding an idea involving Haiku either for Omentielva cantea or for the Return of the Rings. :)
You will hear from me, but right now I am busy with Melcor!
órerámar

PostAuthor: órerámar » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:26 pm

I have amended the two lines that are concerned with "hiutale" that Tuilinde pointed out and I have added some comments.

http://aglardh.middangeard.org.uk/
órerámar

PostAuthor: órerámar » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:20 pm

I have posted on Aglardh the last update of this poem:

http://aglardh.middangeard.org.uk/

I do not think that I shall undertake something as long as that in the near furture - I am happy it is done!
órerámar

PostAuthor: Huanarmo » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:41 am

Congratulations, Órerámar, and thanks for the link to the Aglardh site.

It is absolutely inspiring to see such an intricate tale brought safely into the harbour of finished works. Well done!

Of course I want to take time and read the Quenya through more carefully. Thank you for sharing it.

Márienna,
Huanarmo

Previous

Return to Quenya Poetry