[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4805: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3854)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4807: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3854)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4808: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3854)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4809: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3854)
Párendili • View topic - I Mardocundossë Valaron
Navigator
Search

I Mardocundossë Valaron

I Mardocundossë Valaron

PostAuthor: Tuilinde » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:37 pm

Under the theme of Stewardship here is the first stanza of a poem on the Stewardship of the Valar.

Needless to say, this is the first draft, and continual alterations are to be expected!! The English is not a precise word-for-word translation. If anyone wants it, let me know, and I will put that up as well.
This poem is (hopefully) going to be a Sestina, the form of which is explained below.

Eru, Ilúvatar antanë men anna ~
*Mermerya oiavë ortirë ar varya ::
Ve andanéya lirnemmë epë Eru
Silumë ar tennoio ricuvammë ontien,
Ardasse manyuvammë ilyar márë nár
Pan haryammë poldorë cantë nor Ardo.

Melimmë vanessë virya norion Ardo
Sámallo Ilúvataro alcarinqu' annar
Cuilë, ëalar, fëar ar ilyar márë nar
Sinomë, Aman, melamaremma varya
Endoressë omótiemmë tás ontien
Camta melamar ar turmen Hínin Eruo.

Apáriemm' istya lindalenen Eruo
Istya encë men satë *cariessë Ardo.
Onnar, olvaryë mannë rincemmë ontien;
Aldar ornë, lossi ar aiwi menyë annar.
Ilyar sinë Melkorello mernemmë varya
Istimë hanya i márië ar ulco nár.

Ananta, carnemmë olya i lá márë nér,
Milyala ar sacala i Hini Eruo.
Ír' Eldar cuivaner - yessëa lië varya
Tultanemmeltë et allómëa Entarda.
Me quernë immë Amanna, camneltë annar,
Melkor hlussanë hurur, tévië ontien.

Eru, great All-Father, gave to us a gift ~
His desire ever to care and protect.
As once long ago we sang before Eru,
Now and forever we will strive to create,
In Arda will we bless everything that is good
For we have the strength to shape the lands of Earth.

We love the fair beauty of the lands of Earth;
From Iluvatar's mind such glorious gifts -
Our life, beings, spirits and all that is good,
This place, Aman, our home to care and protect.
In Middle-earth we have toiled there to create
A home and realm for the Children of Eru.

We learned knowledge from the Music of Eru.
Knowledge we used in the making of this Earth.
Creatures and plants free from evil we created,
Tall trees, fair blossoms, and singing birds, our gifts.
All these from Melkor we desired to protect
Having wisdom to understand evil and good.

And yet we did much that was not indeed good,
Longing, searching for the Children of Eru.
When Elves awoke - the first people to protect,
We summoned them out of darkest Middle-Earth,
We turned towards Aman; they received our gifts;
Melkor whispered his lies - hatred to create.

Notes

*Mermerya : a *noun *mermë formed from the verb mer - to desire; with a possessive ending -rya - his.
*Cariessë : a *gerund *carië formed from the verb car - to make - the making; with an allative ending -sse - in. Hopefully giving us in the making.

Tuilinde

Re: I Cardar Valaron

PostAuthor: órerámar » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:48 pm

órerámar

PostAuthor: Tuilinde » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:08 am

many thanks!

The Ardaro was just a silly slip up, and got past me when I was fiddling with colours, italics etc. By the way, you can put accents and so on into a message if you use the Character Map. It's a bit fiddly and slow - I only use it for the odd one or two, other wise I type it out in a file and then copy and paste it onto the forum.

I have changed the other lines as you suggested.

Yes, it is a difficult form, and it is quite possible that it may not work, but there is a perverse pleasure in trying it. As I once said to the other Parendili "I don't do easy - easy is boring!"
Tuilinde

PostAuthor: Huanarmo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:18 pm

Huanarmo

PostAuthor: Tuilinde » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:37 pm

Please take note - two more stanzas have been added to the Sestina. I'm half way through!!
Tuilinde

Re: I Mardocundossë Valaron

PostAuthor: órerámar » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:03 pm

órerámar

PostAuthor: Tuilinde » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:27 am

Tuilinde

PostAuthor: órerámar » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:41 am

órerámar

PostAuthor: findegil » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:35 pm