Navigator
Search

Past Tense of Verbs ending in -na

Past Tense of Verbs ending in -na

PostAuthor: Tuilinde » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:58 pm

Can I just check this - 'cos my brain has hit one of those blanks that appear sometimes:

If I want to say we thought would it be sananemme? That sounds awkward to me - what does anyone else think?

And do I lose the _y_ in hanya in the past tense? Thorsten seems to indicate one might. So would that be hananemme? It sounds too repetitive to my ears.

Many thanks!
Tuilinde

Re: Past Tense of Verbs ending in -na

PostAuthor: órerámar » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:03 pm

Tuilinde wrote:Can I just check this - 'cos my brain has hit one of those blanks that appear sometimes:

If I want to say we thought would it be sananemme? That sounds awkward to me - what does anyone else think?

And do I lose the _y_ in hanya in the past tense? Thorsten seems to indicate one might. So would that be hananemme? It sounds too repetitive to my ears.

Many thanks!

I do not think that there exists a special verb category in -na like in -ya or -ta. If we consider that a verb "sana-" exists, it would be an A-stem verb. Attested past tense examples of A-stem verbs are ora- with two past tense forms orane and orne (VT41:13) and ava- with avane and aune (WJ:370).
Sana- could possibly also have two forms: sanane and sanne. I usually use sanne the sound of which is more pleasant to my ears.

Verbs in -ya have various forms as well. The loss you mention would be the whole ending -ya which is found in intransitive verbs, like virya (change) that has virne or virinye. One form loses the ending -ya adding -ne and the second form repeats the stem vowel and adds -nye. The transitive form is vista, vistane.
Transitive examples are e.g. kesya- cause to inquire with kesyane and verya- be joined with veryane.
Hanya- being transitive, it could be hanyane.
órerámar

PostAuthor: Tuilinde » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:49 pm

Many thanks for that - it is much as I had suspected, and I've put the shorter and more euphonious forms into the Exiles' Song Cycle.
Tuilinde

PostAuthor: Aran » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:08 pm

If I want to say we thought would it be sananemme?

I have been using sáma + locative for 'think' before and now símaryassen 'in their imaginations' rather than a verb 'they imagined' is attested in the Ambidexters Sentence. So maybe *sámanyasse 'I think/thought, in my mind' etc. would be an alternative.
Aran

Return to Quenya linguistics