Navigator
Search

Fosterling

Fosterling

PostAuthor: Huanarmo » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:04 am

Is anyone able to help, please, with a Quenya word that has the sense of 'fosterling'?

Thanks in advance,
Huanarmo

Re: Fosterling

PostAuthor: findegil » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:52 am

Huanarmo wrote:Is anyone able to help, please, with a Quenya word that has the sense of 'fosterling'?

I know of no Elvish stem equivalent to English 'foster-'; but at least in some contexts, an approximation cold be *cilmion/*cilmiel 'son/daughter of choice [i.e. adopted]'. (This is of course modelled on cilmesse 'name of choice, chosen name'.)
findegil

PostAuthor: Tuilinde » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:42 pm

I hadn't been able to think of anything to offer myself, but I do like your suggestion, Findegil, and it sounds right too. I'm reassured by the straightforward explanation, this is entirely unexceptionable.
It will help all of us to work out how to find similar answers to our problems.

Tuilinde
Tuilinde

PostAuthor: órerámar » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:39 pm

findegil wrote:
Huanarmo wrote:Is anyone able to help, please, with a Quenya word that has the sense of 'fosterling'?

I know of no Elvish stem equivalent to English 'foster-'; but at least in some contexts, an approximation cold be *cilmion/*cilmiel 'son/daughter of choice [i.e. adopted]'. (This is of course modelled on cilmesse 'name of choice, chosen name'.)

There is an earlier vincarna for adopted child in the Parma Penyane Quettaron. See here : http://www.elvish.org/gwaith/ppq.htm

But your "cilmion" fits the meaning better. I like it.
órerámar

PostAuthor: Huanarmo » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:03 pm

Hantanyel.

Cilmion fits perfectly, because my fosterling is very much a "chosen adoptive child", one close to his adoptive parents and genuinely loved by them. I'm grateful to each of you - many thanks.
Huanarmo

Return to Quenya linguistics