[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4805: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3854)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4807: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3854)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4808: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3854)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4809: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3854)
Párendili • View topic - Questions About Exercises
Navigator
Search

Questions About Exercises

Questions About Exercise 17

PostAuthor: Huanarmo » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:54 am

Tuilinde, thank you for the very helpful explanation about the verb 'to be'. Plus I found it useful to have confirmation of the alternative forms, accented and unaccented, and the hints on usage.

The expression anda néya (or nëa) is one I've noted for future use. 'Long, long ago' and 'once upon a time' are handy phrases in this line of work.

With best wishes on behalf of all the Párendili for a speedy recovery,
Huanarmo

Re: Questions About Exercises 18 & 19

PostAuthor: Huanarmo » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:09 pm

Órerámar, thank you so much for preparing these exercises. They have given me a much better grasp of the principles behind intensifying and the comparative and superlative forms.

Now that I understand how both an(a)- and ar(i)- work in comparative and superlative constructions, it all makes a great deal more sense. I was using them too narrowly before. And likewise with the outline on epe and . Seeing the usage in terms of 'brighter; very/much brighter; far and away brighter' really helps.

For extra practice I was going to try to say in my best Quenya that the lessons are incomparable - a definite superlative! In fact they are a perfect complement to Tuilinde's lessons with their wonderful vocabulary, vivid imagery, helpful explanations and well-chosen examples. It is kind of you to do this, and I'm sure others will derive enjoyment and enlightenment from them too.

In Exercise 18 I have a question about Arwen's tressure. Tuilinde won't be surprised that I picked this one. Apart from complimenting you for such a lovely example, I would like to understand fully the long -é construction in carrea Arwenéva. I understand the possessive case ending, but not why the long -é appears. If you have time I'd be grateful if you could clarify that, please.

Incidentally, both lessons have done wonders for my vocabulary. Quáco is unforgettable, though I've added it to my 'useful words' list just to be on the safe side. With a memory like mine, lists are a good aid. And leptafinya is a word I will have to work into a piece of writing; there will just have to be a nimble-fingered character among all the inept carpenters. The examples of consonant shifts were also very helpful: I understand ammelda, ammaita and allanda, and it's very useful to see these constructions worked into the examples. Sincere thanks!

In Exercise 19 I made a couple of mistakes. Once again, if you have time, I'd be grateful for advice about where I've gone wrong. In the first and last 'Translate into Quenya' sentences I went awry. In the first I answered araforna where you have anaforna (for 'the most northern land'), and in the very last sentence I wrote arúmaite where the answers have anúmaite (for 'the clumsiest carpenter'). Perhaps I'm being influenced too much by English construction, but both seem to require a strong superlative. To put the question another way, once the most extreme level of intensification is reached, would it be inaccurate to use ar(a)- ?

Hantanyel,
Huanarmo

Supplementary Question About Exercise 19

PostAuthor: Huanarmo » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:22 pm

Oops, there's one more thing I meant to ask, hopefully a straightforward one to answer.

In the second-last sentence 'This is the best book to read now', I wrote Sin i arya ná parmaron cendien sí. The answer gives Sin arya... without the definite article. Is it needed in this construction for 'best'? I had been re-reading examples of the Quenya gerund in dative, so cendien made sense and I was pleased to get that right.
Huanarmo

Re: Supplementary Question About Exercise 19

PostAuthor: órerámar » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:35 pm

órerámar

Re: Questions About Exercises 18 & 19

PostAuthor: órerámar » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:40 pm

órerámar

Re: Questions About Exercises

PostAuthor: Huanarmo » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:43 pm

Many thanks Órerámar. I'm truly grateful.

Another useful construction you've introduced for me is imb' illi for 'among all'. This is the sort of expression you can find only by being introduced to it in writing - or by reading the Quettaparma from cover to cover - so thanks once more for presenting such rich language in the exercises.

This expression is used in the third sentence of Exercise 19. I had marked it to follow-up on, because I had a separate question but wanted to check first on the rules for numbers and plurals, and also for any special references involving 'two trees'. Knowing the latter to be of such special significance I wanted to do more homework before asking, and having done so I now will: would aldar atta be right for this example, and would the verb then also be marked for plural? In full, I aldar atta arvavanime nár imbi' illi. Incidentally, the poetic reduplication is a fascinating feature, so thank you for introducing that in the lesson.

I hope you won't think this query impertinent or a mark of ingratitude; I couldn't be more appreciative of the lessons and explanations, believe me. I've thought hard about how the sentence is constructed, and the question is purely to understand properly, not to 'nit-pick' as we say. When it comes to the opposite of leptafinya, that's me, as I'm frequently reminded!

Merci d'avance,
Huanarmo

PostAuthor: órerámar » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:37 pm

órerámar

PostAuthor: Huanarmo » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:44 am

Hantanyel. That is a gem of an explanation - and very kind of you. Many thanks indeed.
Huanarmo

Re: Questions About Exercise 16

PostAuthor: Huanarmo » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:06 am

Huanarmo

Re: Questions About Exercise 16

PostAuthor: findegil » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:22 pm

findegil

PreviousNext

Return to Quenya linguistics