Navigator
Search

Quenya Names Please

Quenya Names Please

PostAuthor: Tuilinde » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:10 pm

Can someone tell me the Quenya names for Frodo, and Bilbo (if he has one)? I just can't remember where to look, and I need them for a piece I'm doing for the Whitehaven Writers.

Also, do you think it reasonable to assume that the two Hobbits might have gone very briefly to Valinor with Gandalf and the others before settling on Tol Eressea? Is that where Elrond would have been reunited with Celebrian? Would those being released from the Halls of Mandos have a choice to remain in Aman, or go to Tol Eressea?

Thanks for any ideas.
Tuilinde

Re: Quenya Names Please

PostAuthor: Huanarmo » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:23 am

Aiya Tuilinde,

Sorry I cannot help with names for Frodo or Bilbo, but I was intrigued by your query on whether they would have gone to Valinor.

I believe they would indeed, and probably were honoured with an audience with some or all of the Valar. It would have been right for Gandalf (as a Maia on a mission), Elrond (with his Maia and High Noldorin descent), and Galadriel (symbolic of the redeemed and reconciled Noldor) to have this privilege, and I feel the hobbits too would have been honoured for their extraordinary deeds.

Tol Eressëa would have been an ideal place for the hobbits to dwell. Bilbo, in particular, would have been right at home there.

Now this really surprises me, but Elrond's reunion with Celebrían is something I had not considered. It would make a fine subject for one of your beautiful poems.

Galadriel's reunion with her father (not to mention her daughter) is something else I hadn't thought about. In time I might even tackle that myself, but only after a good deal more book-work. I'll pay attention to the archaic accusative, as Finarfin may still have some sharp words to say about the Kinslaying.
Huanarmo

Re: Quenya Names Please / Elrond & Celebrian

PostAuthor: Tuilinde » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:47 pm

If you go onto www.forodrim.org/daeron/md_vali.html you will find a beautiful and most moving poem about Elrond's parting from Celebrian written by Bjorn Fromen ~ Findegil.
It's one of those pieces I have printed off and look at from time to time, as it is so inspiring.

Thank you Findegil!!
Tuilinde

PostAuthor: Huanarmo » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:37 am

Hantanyel, Tuilinde.

I'm grateful for that link. It is an intensely beautiful piece of writing. I've printed it and added it to my small but burgeoning store of fine Quenya works.

I liked the use of Elennóna ~ 'Star-begotten'. And Earello pella ~ 'beyond the Sea' was there, confirming our recent messages on ways to render notions of 'across the sundering sea'.

I add my own deep gratitude to Findegil.
Huanarmo

PostAuthor: atwe » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:36 pm

I don't believe we've got Quenya names for Bilbo and Frodo (I'll be happy to be proved wrong). We know their Westron names (Bilba and Maura) and know Frodo's Sindarin names (Taur in the Cormallen Praise and Iorhael in King's Letter)> You can extrapolate from there if you wish.
atwe

PostAuthor: Aran » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:02 pm

PE17:102 gives at least Q. tára 'wise' corresponding to S. dāra > Daur, as a masculine name it might be *Táro, *Táron similar to ankalima > Ankalimon.
Aran

PostAuthor: Tuilinde » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:17 am

Thank you,

I knew "Daur", of course, but had forgotten that the other name was in the King's letter, and wasn't sure if it was Sindarin or Quenya.

Since this is for a story in English, I think I'll leave it. It really needs for both of them to have a Quenya name or neither.
But thank you again,

Tuilinde
Tuilinde

PostAuthor: findegil » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:03 pm

Tuilinde ar Huanarmo, hara máriesse!

Anta nin túra alasse i linwenya mára ná lenta.

/Findegil
findegil

Return to Quenya linguistics