[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4805: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3854)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4807: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3854)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4808: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3854)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4809: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3854)
Párendili • View topic - Quenya Conversation Workshop
Navigator
Search

Quenya Conversation Workshop

Re: Quenya Conversation Workshop

PostAuthor: Tuilinde » Fri May 04, 2012 8:22 am

Thanks Aran,

I can certainly make use of some of those, though blessings for a wedding isn't something one would need very often in conversation!

Yes, it's rather frustrating when Sindarin has one set of things and Quenya the other. I wonder if the Elves sometimes behaved like many Scandinavians and just carried on conversations in both languages at once?
Tuilinde

PostAuthor: Aran » Sat May 05, 2012 12:07 am

Aran

PostAuthor: findegil » Sat May 05, 2012 12:41 am

findegil

PostAuthor: Tuilinde » Wed May 30, 2012 12:16 pm

If you can all chip in, I now need the Quenya names - where they are possible - of lots of different countries from where people might be coming to Return of the Ring.

A few cities might also be a good idea for the wordlists - though they're mostly going to have to be British!
At least Whitehaven is easy peasy!!
Thanks in advance!
Tuilinde

PostAuthor: Lúthien » Thu May 31, 2012 11:49 am

the Dutch Tolkien Society is called Unquendor, according to the website it's derived from _unque_ (hollow) and _ndor_ (country).
I don't know how correct that is in the light of our current knowledge of Quenya though; the name was coined 26 years ago!

My birth town Arnhem is also easy: it means Eagle's Home (Arends-heim) which is obviously translatable in both Quenya and SIndarin.
Lúthien

PostAuthor: Eryniel » Thu May 31, 2012 10:30 pm

Hey Tuilinde,

I don't mean to be a spoilsport, but may I say that having a huge list of possible country names might be a bit much for a beginner's workshop?
For the question of where one is from a more general approach might be suitable. Like:
- I come from a (small / big) Island
- I come from a land with (little/much) forest
- I come from a land by the sea
and the like.

If you wish to continue along the country name translation then please have a look there: http://www.sindanoorie.net/art/Names.html
Roman has done quite a bit of work on names.
He found Germany - Barbary) as kalimban (n-) '"Barbary", Germany' (QL:44) as well as other. See: http://www.sindarin.de/tolkienforum/viewtopic.php?t=38 (Its in German though).
My own City of birth Düsseldorf means Village at the thundering/rushing water (Tosendwasserdorf) and I once translated it for the Mellyn Lammath forum as Asgarobel in Sindarin, from asgar = violent, rushing, impetuous and lenited gobel = walled house or village, town.
The Tolkien society's subbranch of Australia is called Tol Harndor, from Tol = island, Harn = southern and dor = land.
Eryniel

PostAuthor: Tuilinde » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:23 am

My idea was that I would have the list and if someone asks for a name they need, I would try to supply it - so each person is only learning their own at the workshop, but knows that others exist if they want to explore them.

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll include them and let you know how the Quenya comes out on others.

The Whitehaven Festival begins today - Luthien will remember it from her time here - so nothing much will be done until that is over and we've celebrated the Queen's Diamond Jubilee on Monday and Tuesday.

My visit to Ironville has just been cancelled, so I can't try out the workshop on the school children. Ah well, such is life!
Tuilinde

PostAuthor: órerámar » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:41 pm

órerámar

PostAuthor: Aran » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:47 pm

Aran

PostAuthor: Tuilinde » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:32 pm

Greetings from an exhausted Tuilinde!

Just to let you know that the linguistics stream at Return of the Ring went very well. Luthien went first with the Sindarin Conversation, Elros followed with Tengwar, and after a Poetry Circle which included some of my Quenya works I concluded with the Quenya Conversation.

Perhaps unfairly, I had the benefit of the accumulating interest, and had 21 paricipants, who said they had enjoyed themselves, and went away with flyers in hand! An hour was not nearly enough, so if I repeat it I'll ask for an hour and a half and then we can get to the second half of the booklet they were each given.

So, watch out! We may be about to be swamped with new members!
Tuilinde

PreviousNext

Return to Quenya linguistics