[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4805: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3854)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4807: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3854)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4808: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3854)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4809: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3854)
Párendili • View topic - Linnod aglareb
Navigator
Search

Linnod aglareb

A place for joy and laughter

Linnod aglareb

PostAuthor: Huanarmo » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:24 am

Following a recent exchange of verbal bouquets, a linnod somehow emerged. With thanks to Eryniel and, of course, Gilraen.

Aglar e-gorn aglareb farn; ú-chebin aglar anim.

'The praise of the praiseworthy is praise enough; I keep no praise for myself.'
Huanarmo

Re: Linnod aglareb

PostAuthor: Eryniel » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:49 am

wonderful Huanarmo :)

I do think the "of the praiseworthy" is e-gorn aglareb? Then I think it's missing a "praise"....

Aglar e-gorn aglareb aglar farn; ú-chebin aglar anim
... ?
Eryniel

PostAuthor: Huanarmo » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:54 am

It's a rare pleasure to be thought to have used too few words. I don't know of an Elvish word for 'blush', so a smiley will have to convey mine :blush2:

Now it's quite possible I condensed too much, but I was intending e-gorn to render all by itself the meaning 'of the revered' = 'of the praiseworthy'.

A transliteration of the original would have been "(the) praise of-the-revered (is) glorious enough; I-keep-no praise for-myself. With a wee bit of poetic licence I morphed aglareb ~ 'glorious' into 'praise' in the original translation.

This was a Sindarin composition rendered into English, not the other way about. But working from the English into Sindarin, I do see what you mean. :hmm:

Savo 'lass
Huanarmo

PostAuthor: Eryniel » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:39 am

Ahhh, no need to blush then ;-)
It was rather my mistake.
Eryniel

PostAuthor: findegil » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:19 pm

findegil

PostAuthor: Huanarmo » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:34 am

Thanks, Findegil.

I should have taken the hint from the PE:113 reference to 'Ara(n)gorn'.

Having looked again at the Mixed mutation table, could it perhaps even be en-ngorn?

Somehow I prefer the look of e-ngorn or en-gorn. This is good practice at using the mutation tables, which were so daunting at first sight. :-)
Huanarmo

PostAuthor: findegil » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:41 pm

findegil

Return to Lalaith | Lalië