Navigator
Search

Silmarillion

A place for joy and laughter

Silmarillion

PostAuthor: Eryniel » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:46 pm

This is a 1000-word Silmarillion that is on the web and that is perfect for this new part of the forum:
http://www.megaloceros.net/1000wordSilm.htm

So in that respect: Have fun y'all - *Savo 'las :)
Eryniel

Re: Silmarillion

PostAuthor: John P. Hanlon » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:44 pm

A great deal of the proceedings seem to summed up in the "CRASHBANGBOOM." ;)
John P. Hanlon

PostAuthor: órerámar » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:11 pm

John P. Hanlon wrote:A great deal of the proceedings seem to summed up in the "CRASHBANGBOOM." ;)

I tried to draw some inspiration for dark sounding words for Melcor.

"Bwam bardle ningle boom" it is just the "nigle" that does not sound right here. :D
órerámar

PostAuthor: Lúthien » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:43 pm

"Boop bop-a-doo-bop" also makes me think rather of Betty Boop than of Melkor =)

Apart from the humour, it is quite a cleverly done though: he wants to summarise Melkor's initial disturbing the music of the Ainur, which is a pure "LA LA LA!". Melkor counters this with all sorts of sounds that are very unlike "LA LA LA LA": "BUM BUM BA DUM!", then "Boop bop-a-doo-bop!" and finally "Bwam bardle ningle boom." :o - I can sort of imagine how hard it would be to keep on "LA LA LA-ing" in close harmony with the rest when someone is falsely bardleninglebooming next to you! Of course he eventually got a lot more heavy-metally than that .. :fear:
Lúthien

PostAuthor: Eryniel » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:01 pm

big LOL about the heavy-metally. That actually sounds like it could be used somehow in the Ainulindalë. :D
And thanks to that I have the "bom--bom--bom--bom-bombo-bom" from "smoke on the water" in my head now. :-O
Eryniel

PostAuthor: Lúthien » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:39 am

:)
Yes indeed, I was reading it again looking more carefully; and it struck me that it is largely "correct" in the sense that it gets the essence of the motives quite right. I find "how does evil arise" one of the most fascinating themes of the Silmarillion: at the time of the Ainulindalë, Melkor's rebellion is largely a "desire to create things of his own" - which Aulë is no stranger to either. The main difference being of course that Aulë is able to take a larger view and repentance, where Melkor can't or won't, leading to an ever-growing cycle of hurt pride and secret anger.
Lúthien

Return to Lalaith | Lalië