Navigator
Search

Siniath - Sinyar

News, tidings, away-messages and such

Re: Siniath - Sinyar

PostAuthor: Aran » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:35 pm

In Quenya the general plural performs the functions of the Sindarin group/class plural, cf. Eldar -- Eledhrim, elenion (ancalima) -- (aglar) elenath.

I guess this is true for any language without a proper class plural, but Quenya also has a sort of collective formation Eldalie. In German and Russian, for example, 'news' is formed via a collective/abstract suffix (Neuigkeit, новость), thus literally indeed 'newness, recency', and is distinguished from just some unspecific 'new ones', although one probably will find a number of languages where it is indeed the plural of the adjective 'new'. Anyway, it's just an idea.
Aran

PostAuthor: findegil » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:07 pm

Aran wrote:
In Quenya the general plural performs the functions of the Sindarin group/class plural, cf. Eldar -- Eledhrim, elenion (ancalima) -- (aglar) elenath.

I guess this is true for any language without a proper class plural, but Quenya also has a sort of collective formation Eldalie .

Certainly, but such forms (Eldalie, olassie and their like) are genuine collective nouns and do not regularly serve as plural inflexions like the Sindarin –ath and –rim formations.

Aran wrote:one probably will find a number of languages where it ['news'] is indeed the plural of the adjective 'new'.

Evidently Sindarin is one of these languages; and with no indications to the contrary the best guess must be that Quenya is yet another one.
findegil

PostAuthor: Aran » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:47 am

Evidently Sindarin is one of these languages

Well, not quite, since sîn is not identical to siniath.
Aran

PostAuthor: findegil » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:10 am

At least the plural (siniath) is formed from the adjective 'new' (sein), just as English “news” is a nominalized plural of “new”. And of course the contrast between Sindarin sîn ('new' as modifying a plural noun) and siniath ('news', nominalized plural) would in Quenya be paralleled by sinye vs sinyar.
findegil

PostAuthor: Eryniel » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:24 pm

Does that mean we have a winner? :D

Sounds like Sinyar would be acceptable then.
Eryniel

PostAuthor: Eryniel » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:58 pm

Hm, over a month now and no reply. I guess I´ll prod Lúthien to use Sinyar then, since the header still looks incomplete. ;)
Eryniel

Previous

Return to Siniath | Sinyar