[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4805: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3854)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4807: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3854)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4808: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3854)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4809: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3854)
Párendili • View topic - Siniath - Sinyar
Navigator
Search

Siniath - Sinyar

News, tidings, away-messages and such

Siniath - Sinyar

PostAuthor: órerámar » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:20 pm

We do not really need a translation, the word is already more or less there. Siniath is found in the Etymologies (LR:385) under the stem SI-which has the basic meaning of "this, here, now" and gives in Q "sí, sin = now; sinya = new N sein (pl. sîn) new; siniath news, tidings; sinnarn novel tale.

So we could have Sinyar for News.

On the other hand, Vinyar for News (see Vinyar Tengwar = News Letters) is in use since 1988 (although it appears from the first issues of VT, that the name did not make the unanimity). I must say I fail to understand why they used vinya and not sinya, since a word on this base existed in N. Maybe simply because vinya was more frequently attested (see the compounds with vinya).

As the different gloses of vinya show, its meaning has a connotation of "young, fresh" like in many Indo-European Languages.*

Sinya "new" has more the meaning of actuality, as its stem SI- now indicates. In Indo-European Languages we find the same relationship. Now is also connected to new.*

For "News" Sinyar seems to me more fitting than Vinyar. (Especially in our fast living time, were the "freshness" of the news lasts hardly a day. - I know, jokes are not a good justification.)

*Carl Darling Buck "A dictionary of selected synonyms in the principal Indo-European languages" /Semantic fields 14.13 new and 14.18 now.
órerámar

Re: Siniath - Sinyar

PostAuthor: Elros » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:20 pm

Elros

PostAuthor: órerámar » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:45 pm

órerámar

PostAuthor: Eryniel » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:40 pm

If you will forgive a total newbie for trying ....

I was fiddling with Helges wordlist yesterday and I happend to look at the forum roundabout the same time, so just for fun I looked up some words and came up with Vinquenta.

I might be completely off, but Vin - (from vinya (1) adj. "young" (VT46:22, VT47:26, PE17:191) or "new", see Vincarma - new-made) and quenta (tale, account) might form this compound.

Now I have no idea if it would be at all usable, but I had fun looking it up ;-)
Eryniel

PostAuthor: findegil » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:24 am

findegil

PostAuthor: Elros » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:59 am

Elros

PostAuthor: Eryniel » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:56 pm

May I - even if I cannot contribute to the topic - say that the Quenya part of the Headline of this board is still empty? I would love to see what you guys come up with to actually use :)
Eryniel

PostAuthor: Aran » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:46 pm

The interesting part about siniath is that it actually seems to be a class plural. Quenya has no class plural, but maybe one could use a collective suffix instead of an ordinary plural, e.g. *sinyasse, *sinie (as in karpasse, olassie).
Aran

PostAuthor: órerámar » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:46 pm

órerámar

PostAuthor: findegil » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:17 am

findegil

Next

Return to Siniath | Sinyar