Navigator
Search

Helpful Hints for using the Forum

To fashion your writing (post) - instructions on how to use the forum

Helpful Hints for using the Forum

PostAuthor: Huanarmo » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:35 am

HOW DO I … ? ~ Helpful Hints for using the Forum

Aiya! Mae govannen! Greetings!

We hope all Párendili will find the forum a friendly and welcoming place. Making it easy to use is part of that goal.

Detailed information about the forum and its features is available via Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - see top right-hand corner of the main Forum page.

The additional material here offers practical tips and basic troubleshooting hints.

If you have a question or need further help, there are contact details below in Question 1. Please don't hesitate to ask.

On behalf of the Párendili moderating team, please use, learn, share, and enjoy!

[ Last updated: 12 October 2010 ]

A list of help questions follows. For details, scroll down to the number of the topic you want.

1. How do I get help if I can't find the advice I need on site?

2. How do I know what permissions I have?

3. How do I start a new topic?

4. How do I reply to a post?

5. How do I preview a post before submitting it?

6. How do I put in accents and other diacritical marks?

7. How can I write in Tengwar on the Forum?

8. What happens when I save a draft post? Where does it go?

9. How do I retrieve, edit and send a saved draft?

10. How do I edit my post?

11. How do I delete one of my posts?

12. How do I quote from earlier forum material in my post?

13. How do I add an attachment and how much data can I post?

14. How do I add a smiley (emoticon)?

15. How can I catch up quickly on new material, without scrolling through all the topics?

16. How do I utilise the User Control Panel?

1. How do I get help if I can't find the advice I need on site?

Send an email using this link - forum.admin@parendili.org

Help is always at hand, and one of our moderators will respond as quickly as possible. Please be aware that members and moderators participate on a voluntary basis and as regularly as they may, but a reply may take a little time.

2. How do I know what permissions I have?

Once you have registered you will be able to:
- reply to posts
- edit your posts
- delete your posts
- include attachments with your posts (up to 2MB)
- utilise User Control Panel features

3. How do I start a new topic?

Click on NEW TOPIC at the head (and foot) of each list of topics.

4. How do I reply to a post?

Click on POST REPLY and click Submit when finished.

5. How do I preview a post before submitting it?

Click on Preview at the foot of the window, where the options are to Save, Preview, or Submit your post.

To edit, make changes in the POST A NEW TOPIC text section (below the Preview window - you may need to scroll down to see it), not in the Preview window itself.

6. How do I put in accents and other diacritical marks?

If you are working on a long document or one with many diacritical marks or special characters, it is advisable to create your text in an ordinary folder in your Documents. You can then copy and paste the finished text straight into your post.

Common keyboard shortcuts or character sets also work. Check using Preview (see Q.5 above) if you want to make sure.

7. How can I write in Tengwar on the Forum?

Make sure you've downloaded some Tengwar fonts into your computer (e.g. available via http://at.mansbjorkman.net and follow the links there). Create your text in a folder in your Documents, and then copy and paste to drop it into your post.

8. What happens when I save a draft post? Where does it go?

When you click on Save (rather than the Preview or Submit options), your post is saved in draft form.

You can return to it by clicking on User Control Panel at the top left-hand corner of the main Forum page. Saved drafts can be found via the Overview tab under the sub-heading Manage drafts.

9. How do I retrieve, edit and send a saved draft?

Click on User Control Panel at the top left-hand corner of the main Forum page. Saved drafts can be found via the Overview tab under the sub-heading Manage drafts.

Click on the draft title - or on View/Edit alongside the saved draft details - which will bring up the draft and allow you to edit it if you wish. If you select Save the message will remain as a draft in the Manage drafts folder.

When you are ready to preview or submit the post, click on Load draft in the Manage drafts window. This will return the material to POST A REPLY mode and allow you to Save, Preview or Submit in the normal way.

10. How do I edit my post?

• Before submitting your post:
There are options to edit using Preview (see Q.5 above). Previewing is useful, especially for longer material, because it shows the post as it will look on the forum.

• After submitting your post:
Open the post and click EDIT.

11. How do I delete one of my posts?

Click on the  [Delete] box beside EDIT at the top of the relevant post's message screen.
- A screen prompt will ask you to confirm; click Yes to delete.

12. How do I quote from earlier forum material in my post?

This can be handy for referencing specific issues or extracts from earlier posts. You can include multiple Quotes in a single message by repeating the following process each time.

When you click on POST A REPLY, the topic concerned opens up below the POST A REPLY window.
- You will see it in a section headed "TOPIC REVIEW: [subject title]".
- You may need to scroll down to see all the material.

Select the text you want to quote. This may include earlier quotes.
- With the selection highlighted, click on the QUOTE button in the right-hand corner.
- Your selection will then show in the POST A REPLY window, starting and finishing with the quote markers.
- You can check using Preview (see Q.5 above).

A quick method is to open the post that you wish to quote in your reply. Click on QUOTE in the top right-hand corner of the original post, and the whole text will be transferred to the beginning of a new POST A REPLY window. All you need to do then is add your own comments after the quoted text, and Submit.

13. How do I add an attachment and how much data can I post?

Click on the Upload Attachment tab below the POST A REPLY window.
- Choose File button appears
- click on it and select the document or image you want to attach
- click Add the File button

Please limit attachments to 2MB. If you want to attach a larger amount of data, please email the moderators first - forum.admin@parendili.org

You can Preview your post to see that the attachment has been included (see Q.5 above).

14. How do I add a smiley (emoticon)?

Place the cursor on the spot in your post where you want the smiley to appear, then click on the one you want from the list.

On screen you will see a text-based version, but when you Submit your post the animated version will appear on the forum.

You can check Preview to see the selection graphically before Submitting (see Q.5 above).

15. How can I catch up quickly on new material, without scrolling through all the topics?

At the head of the topic screens there are options to:
- View unanswered posts
- View unread posts
- View new posts
- View active topics

Clicking on one of these options will bring up a summary screen displaying the relevant posts or topics.

16. How do I utilise the User Control Panel?

Click on User Control Panel in the top left-hand corner of the main Forum page.

This area contains a number of useful options:
- overview
- edit your profile (including signature, image or avatar, and account settings)
- edit your preferences (including global settings, posting defaults and display options)
- send private messages to selected individual member(s) via the forum
- store and manage your private messages
Huanarmo

Return to Echedi i deithad | Á para mahta sarmetyar