[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4805: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3854)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4807: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3854)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4808: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3854)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4809: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3854)
Párendili • View topic - Questions via the Tolkien Society Committee
Navigator
Search

Questions via the Tolkien Society Committee

Questions via the Tolkien Society Committee

PostAuthor: Tuilinde » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:43 pm

Tuilinde

Re: Questions via the Tolkien Society Committee

PostAuthor: Tuilinde » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:52 am

Tuilinde

PostAuthor: Tuilinde » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:18 pm

Tuilinde

PostAuthor: Lúthien » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:24 pm

I wouldn't mind talking to him at all. I'm aware of the typical sort of misconceptions that live among so many people regarding the elvish languages. Thus it'd be undesirable indeed, as you indicate also, to have some Grelvish user adding more to that.

Incidentally, I know the person who wrote mentioned iPhone app though, luckily I might add, not very well. It was probably the shortest msn conversation I've ever had the displeasure of not being able to avoid altogether  :( 

Thinking about the "speaking" in particular; I'm willing of course to bring forward other opinions as my own, as long as they mirror a cross section of those with a serious interest in the elvish languages. Though I am very enthusiastically for (also) using these tongues in speech, albeit respectful of the original context, not everyone is. But I needn't tell that here, of course. 
About the requirement that the reporter stated as being a "daily user": I'm not at this time, but I was sometime ago when a short chat in Sindarin over Skype was one of the things that my study partner and I used by way of exercise. The problem is that there's not much people around who seriously want to try and speak Sindarin. But it remains my conviction that it can be done, even within the limits that the (linguistic) state of the language imposes. 
Lúthien

PostAuthor: Lúthien » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:44 pm

I just read the other question. If there's no Sindarin version of Namarië I'm much willing to give it a try. 

Re. the iPhone app: I can post some screenshots and a description here later tonight, so you have an idea what it's like. It is Quenya-only, and it contains one of the free available Quenya courses (forgot which one) and a word list (with a totally cripple search index) plus some other documents. I had the idea that the developer just collected everything from the Internet without bothering too much about, well, anything. The developer is not knowledgeable about Quenya or a user even when applying these words very loosely - which might account for the above. 
Lúthien

PostAuthor: órerámar » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:18 pm

Last edited by órerámar on Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
órerámar

PostAuthor: Lúthien » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:01 pm

Here's some screen pictures of the "ElvenSpeak" iPhone app.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Lúthien

PostAuthor: Lúthien » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:20 pm

Lúthien

PostAuthor: órerámar » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:45 am

órerámar

PostAuthor: Lúthien » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:10 am

Yes, it is mentioned.
On a "About" page somewhere at the back. But it can still be that he asked Helge and that they agreed on this. I don't know.

But to be honest, I find it a bit hard to imagine. The whole thing is practically useless: as you can see from the screen capture pictures, you can read maybe twenty words on a page. As if a book has been printed on a tape measure. I cannot imagine anyone who would actually read it like that.

And about the word list: it is English-Quenya only, not the other way around. Besides, the search indexing is useless.
If you type in the letter "A" - you only see <A> on the screen.
If you type in the letter "B" - you get the entry for "ABANDON".
If you type in the letter "C" - you get the entry for "ABUNDANCE".
If you type in the letter "D" - you get the entry for "ABANDON" again.
If you type in the word "MAN" you get the entry for "*AMANIAN"

It's even worse than I thought ... :neee:

Mr. Lassiquendi is not only no good at Quenya, but he's also a lame programmer. Sigh.

Final conclusion: "ElvenSpeak" for the iPhone is a completely useless piece of software.
The developer seems to have tossed a few resources that he'd found on the internet into one package. It does not give the impression of having been designed to be used: reading a long document like Helge Fauskanger's Quenya course on a display which is barely an inch wide is not something that anyone who wants to learn Quenya is likely to do.

The included English - Quenya word list is rendered effectively useless because it cannot be searched in any useful way. There is no wildcard search; the display cannot be scrolled; the entries are cut off after a certain length; and well, it just does not work.

The only positive thing that I can say about it, is that it is free (if it hadn't been, he would probably have gotten into trouble - there is also music by Howard Shore in the app, and that is NOT credited).

Overall score from the Dutch jury: zero points.
Lúthien

Next

Return to General discussion