[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4805: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3854)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4807: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3854)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4808: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3854)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4809: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3854)
Párendili • View topic - Sindarin Dictionary: mandatory & optional requirements
Navigator
Search

Sindarin Dictionary: mandatory & optional requirements

PostAuthor: Eryniel » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:58 pm

After several discussions with Lúthien, we both feel it would be a good idea to start this thread to get a feel for what people would like the dictionary application to be able to do.
So I start with the search function. Although Lúthien said she will eventually implement it, I post it here as a "reminder":
I would love for the search function to be able to differentiate between positions of search strings, for example if I search for *ol I would only want words that END on -ol, or an* for words beginning with an- or if I search for *da* I would search for words that have this string in a middling position.

So if anyone has more "wishes", now is the time and here is the place to tell Lúthien :)
Eryniel

PostAuthor: Lúthien » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:09 pm

I'll make it so that you can choose for either

- search for the whole word (matches only to "mellon" when you have typed in "mellon"
- search for the ending of the word (matches "mellon" when you type in "llon", for instance
- search for the beginning of the word (matches "mellon" when you type in "mell", for instance
- search for the occurrence of the search string anywhere (i.e. matches "mellon" when you type "ell" or "mel" or "llon")
- search using a wildcard (i.e. matches "mellon" when you type "m*llon") or, for the true geeks among us, using regular expressions (matches "mellon" when typing in "^m*+?l{1,2}[o|u]n")
Lúthien

Re: Sindarin Dictionary: mandatory & optional requirements

PostAuthor: Eryniel » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:30 am

Sorry to sound stupid, but how will you do the differenciating? I thought of something like this:

Put in *llon and get only words that end on -llon
Put in mel* and get only words that begin on mel-
Put in *el* and get all words that have -el- in any position.
Eryniel

PostAuthor: Lúthien » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:32 am

Well yes, that's what I said too ...?

Also, a mandatory request by Aran: :bigboss:

- The Sindarin search index should include the alternate entries
Lúthien

PostAuthor: Tuilinde » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:56 am

Will it tell you whether to use a hyphen mell-, -llon, -ell-, or a star as Eryniel did, mell*, *llon, *ell*, or whatever?
Tuilinde

PostAuthor: Lúthien » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:05 am

Lúthien

PostAuthor: Lúthien » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:06 am

I'll include a Help screen in the final thing :)
Lúthien

Return to General discussion