Navigator
Search

ISO 10646 & the Universal Character Set (UCS)

ISO 10646 & the Universal Character Set (UCS)

PostAuthor: Lúthien » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:20 am

Maybe this is not new at all but I happened to stumble over it while looking for something work-related so I thought I'd mention it.

When at the Omentielva meeting in Whitehaven in 2009, I remember there was someone there who was working on getting the Tengwar accepted as part of the Unicode character set. This was, at that point, not yet the case (I must admit that I don't fully understand the difference between Unicode and the UCS. I should read up on it someday).

Today, I was reading this page:

What are UCS and ISO 10646?

The international standard ISO 10646 defines the Universal Character Set (UCS). UCS is a superset of all other character set standards. It guarantees round-trip compatibility to other character sets. This means simply that no information is lost if you convert any text string to UCS and then back to its original encoding.

UCS contains the characters required to represent practically all known languages. This includes not only the Latin, Greek, Cyrillic, Hebrew, Arabic, Armenian, and Georgian scripts, but also Chinese, Japanese and Korean Han ideographs as well as scripts such as Hiragana, Katakana, Hangul, Devanagari, Bengali, Gurmukhi, Gujarati, Oriya, Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam, Thai, Lao, Khmer, Bopomofo, Tibetan, Runic, Ethiopic, Canadian Syllabics, Cherokee, Mongolian, Ogham, Myanmar, Sinhala, Thaana, Yi, and others. For scripts not yet covered, research on how to best encode them for computer usage is still going on and they will be added eventually. This includes not only historic scripts such as Cuneiform, Hieroglyphs and various Indo-European notations, but even some selected artistic scripts such as Tolkien’s Tengwar and Cirth. UCS also covers a large number of graphical, typographical, mathematical and scientific symbols, including those provided by TeX, PostScript, APL, the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA), MS-DOS, MS-Windows, Macintosh, OCR fonts, as well as many word processing and publishing systems. The standard continues to be maintained and updated. Ever more exotic and specialized symbols and characters will be added for many years to come.

Maybe this means that progress has been made on officially supporting Tengwar.
Lúthien

Re: ISO 10646 & the Universal Character Set (UCS)

PostAuthor: Eryniel » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:19 am

Yes, there is a lot happening. Have a look here: http://freetengwar.sourceforge.net/
and the first Tengwar only blog here: http://my.opera.com/tengwarblog/blog/
Eryniel

Re: ISO 10646 & the Universal Character Set (UCS)

PostAuthor: Lúthien » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:39 am

looks great!
Lúthien

Return to general linguistics